Saturday 4 March 2017

It's an ill wind . . . .


Today, I was rudely awakened by the telephone ringing at 06:00 am.  Now, anyone who knows me, knows that that is the middle of my night . . . I'm a night owl, going to bed around 03:00 am and not seeing the light of day until around 11:00 am, so, I was on 'red alert', knowing that something really dreadful had happened!  I rushed to the phone, stubbing my toe in the semi light and my bleary eyes and snatched it from it's base.  I heard a weepy mother on the other end informing me that she had, "fallen out of her chair", and was, "on the floor and couldn't get up".  My Mother is a 'night owl' too (worse than me) and she was about to go to bed and apparently, she had fallen asleep in her chair and woke up thinking, 'I must go to bed', so I think she must have been a bit 'doddery' and stumbled.  My stomach lurched and I said, "don't move, I will be there in a minute".

I grabbed my car keys and hurtled out of the door and arrived in record time (eat your heart out Stirling Moss - anyone here apart from me old enough to know he was a racing driver?), I let myself in to my Mother's and after a bit of a struggle, managed to get her to her feet.  Luckily, she was more shaken than hurt - I gave her a good checking over, and there wasn't a bruise or any sign of redness, thank the Lord - so I gave her a big cuddle to calm her (and me) down, gave her two Paracetamol, got her into her night-clothes and tucked her up in her bed.   I kissed her, and arrived home, wide awake with an extra four hours tacked on to my day!  Hence a few cards for a few challenges!

The first one I made, I am entering it into the 'Flower Challenge #6' which is 'Anything Goes', as long as it contains flowers.

http://theflowerchallenge.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/the-flower-challenge-6-anything-goes.html

Here is the card for that challenge.




The second card is for a the 'Less Is More Challenge', which calls for 'Mainly Teal',
http://simplylessismoore.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/challenge-318-mainly-teal.html


Now, this one I was a little unsure of?  I liked how it turned out, but I wasn't sure if, a) there was enough teal and b) whether there was 'too much going' on with the grey (I did hope that the grey leaves would fade more than they did (some inks do, this one didn't 😟).  This is that card.






I rang my Mother later to ask her if she was OK (my sister visits on a Saturday, so I knew Mum didn't have long to wait until she had company), and she was quite bright and breezy and said, yes, she was fine.  I asked her if she got some sleep and she replied,  "yes, I had a good 'night's' sleep"  and then asked me if I had HAH!  Never mind, she was OK, and to me that is worth the loss of a few hours of my sleep!

Well, thank you so much for your visit today and especially if you have left a comment.  You are all appreciated more than you know! If you have a question, please be sure I have a way to contact you so I can answer, as a lot of you are 'no-reply' bloggers, so I am unable to reply via e-mail.


26 comments:

  1. So glad to hear your mum's OK after your mercy dash. Super makes today too

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad your Mom's okay, Hazel. I hope your toe is okay after stubbing it, too. Your cards are so gorgeous!! I love the embossing and the beautiful flowers on the first one!! The colors are amazing on the second!! I love the leaves!! I hope you are able to get a good night's sleep tonight!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. so happy Mum is ok - night time calls are so scary - but you have made wonderful use of your new found time - the flower one is gorgeous and the second so unique in design - the die cut leaves in the center give such lovely bling!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear Hazel, it certainly jolts you awake when the phone rings at that time of the morning, but so pleased your Mum was none the worse for her fall. Your two cards are gorgeous. I adore the pink flowers, and the embossing and the coordingating background, and the black makes it pop, then the second with the pleasing teal diamond shape with just that touch of pink which really lifts it, and the pretty gold leafy flourish goes beautifully over the top. I love the complementary teal coloured sentiment too. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Poor Hazel, what a terrible shock you must have had. I,m glad to hear your Mum wasn't hurt and seemed well when you spoke to her today.

    I'm also a bit of a night owl myself but turn in a bit earlier than you. I go to bed about 1.30 then have a read for half an hour or so. I think your two cards are absolutely gorgeous. The colours of both are lovely and I don't think the grey is too strong and I love the little silver spring in the middle. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Hazel, what a fright! I am so glad she is OK though, and yes I do know who Sir Stirling Moss is. My mother used to ask if I was he when I was driving too fast! Lol! It's a beautiful card for our challenge this month, I adore the pink and the embossed background. I'm so glad you've managed to join in with your gorgeous cards. 6 am is my usual time to get up (small people wake me up!) so I shall head to my bed now. Hug to you after your fright and thank you for joining in this month's challenge. Ruth DT xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your gorgeous cards were a gift from your mum. I bet she would love either card as a gift from you :-) So glad all worked out for your mum and you. TFS Hazel. Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! How scary to be woken up like that! No wonder you were wide awake by the time you got home! Glad you Mum is ok, though (and doesn't even remember it). And you made good use of your gained time by making two fantastic cards! The first one with the pretty roses and the second one has a modern feel to it! Really fabulous, both of it (and very nicely photographed).
    Hope your Sunday will start out in a more quiet fashion...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are a lovely daughter, Hazel, and you take such good care of your mum. I am certain she is more appreciative than you will ever know. I am a bit of a night owl, too. I often stay up until 1:30 a.m. or so, but then I generally am up by 8 a.m. That usually means I want to nod off for a bit in the afternoon. But if I just go down to my craft room and work on a card, the tired feeling passes and I can finish out the day just fine. Your cards today are beautiful. I like your teal card - it has lots of interest, and I'm sure it will pass muster in the teal department. Have a happy day, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I had to smile at your story with your mom, Hazel - the kind of thing that happens here with my MIL, but thankfully she goes to her room at 6 pm and I think she's most of the time in bed not later than 7 pm - so with her things like that would happen during day time - thank goodness!!!! But she does sometimes phone us in the middle of the night when the alarm has gone off and she asks us what she has to do!!!! Glad that your mom is OK and happy for you that you had some extra crafting time!!!! And WOW, your roses look fabulous, Hazel - I've got those stamps too, but never have I done mine so beautifully!!!! Pretty in pink and I love the EF you used!!!! Very stylish and elegant card!!!! And your teal card - I think it's lovely and I do reckon you've got enough teal on there!!! Love that shiny coloured panel and the grey leaves look fine to me!!!!! The silver flourish is fabulous!!! Such a great card, my friend!!!!
    Have a great Sunday!!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear about your Mum, but glad she was OK. It must have given you both a real shock, especially when the phone went and you where fast asleep. Didn't realise you are such a night bird and often don't go to bed until 3am!! Love the first pretty card Hazel, gorgeous layout and the prettiest of colours. I experiment...all of the time with different grey inks and then when I think I have got it they play differently...again! Different paper/card and maybe different pressure as well, who knows? Different style on your second card, which I enjoyed. The texture, colours and layout have all come together so well x Enjoy the rest of the day x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad your mum was okay - what a shock for her and it must have been so worrying for you :( At least there is the upside of us seeing some beautiful cards from you that might not have been made otherwise! Loving your beautiful floral card - absolutely stunning - and your card for our teal challenge has so much visual interest with those lovely leaves in the background and that vibrant teal panel popping against them. Great job! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Less is More :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my what a shock for you both Hazel! so pleased your mum was ok, hope you catch up on sleep tonight now.When I hear the phone ring early it's usually a wrong number grrr! Anyway back to your cards, such a beauty the first one, just adore those pretty flowers.I love the cut off panel and touch of black,the embossing looks great also.Love the LIM one too, great use of teal,pretty leaves and silver swirl/leaves. Thank you so much for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challege' and we hope to see you again soon ;)hugs Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very pretty cards! The 2nd ones design is quite unique & I really love that.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Glad your mum is ok! Loving the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So sorry to hear about your mum...so glad to hear you were close by and took care of her. Your cards are beautiful. I have those gorgeous roses and always forget to use them, your roses are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hope mum is still having no ill effects from her fall. I also hope you have recovered from your early morning wake up x beautiful cards.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Phew, so glad your mum is ok, Hazel. I used to be a night owl but these days my eyes are struggling to stay open beyond 10pm, even at the weekends! Hopefully your body clock is all corrected now.
    Loving your two cards, the embossed background on your rose card is gorgeous, such lovely interest, and the vibrant teal surrounded by the grey leaves is fab.
    Thanks so much for sharing with us at Less is More, Anita x

    ReplyDelete
  19. First, so happy & relieved your Mom didn't damage anything. I can just guess it scared you to pieces. I identify with your nite owl times, sounds like here. Now, both cards are lovely. I really like the style of the flowers with the layout on #1. And nope, I don't think there was too much gray on the background of #2. It is very subtly bringing out the intense colors of the layered diamonds. This is a layout I've not seen before. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad your Mum was OK after her fall, it must of been such shock to the system too. Hope your Mum had damaged anything and she's feeling better. Stunning cards and their all just so perfect too. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a scare! I'm glad you Mum was OK! I LOVE this die cut! It's so elegant in the silver atop the pretty panel!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oops, Love the roses and that fantastic layout!

    ReplyDelete
  23. So glad your mum is suffering no ill effects. I am a fellow night owl and some of my best cards are made in those hours. So glad you give the close up photo as well as the staged...I would have missed the wave embossing on the first otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope your mom fairs okay. Your CAS card for the flower challenge is soooo pretty! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank goodness you live close enough to get there and help out. Its so scary as our parents get older. Glad to hear she is okay and because of her wake up call you turned out two wonderful cards. Absolutely love the split layers and the beautiful roses. And the card with the teal panel and grey background flowers, stunning. Thank you so much for joing us at The Flower Challenge Aileen DT

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x