Thursday 29 January 2015

CAS 4 - Day 3 - Inked Backgrounds

Today's (or yesterdays in USA) lessons were 'Inked Backgrounds' and the techniques I chose to try were, Jennifer McGuire's 'Layered Inking' and Karolyn's 'Velveteen Stamping', this is the card I am going to show you first.

First, I stamped the, Just Rite, 'Elegant Fronds' in white pigment ink on to white cardstock and let that dry.  Then, I stamped the flowers and leaves from the, Altenew, 'Lacy Scrolls' stamp set and that was stamped in Stampin' Up's, 'Melon Mambo' and 'Gumball Green' inks.

Next, I got a piece of 'Gumball Green' card and stamped Avery Elle's 'Woodgrain & More' stamp in versamark ink for a tone on tone effect.  Then I stamped the little tag with Paula Pascual, 'Every Day Messages', put twine through it and wound it round the front of the card and fastened it at the back with tape and popped the tag up on foam tape.

Finally, I mounted the whole thing on to a card base and added a few sequins and this is the card!












The second technique was, 'Layered Inking', which involved blending a couple of distress inks together on a background piece and then overstamping with Versamark, and the Versamark was supposed to react with the distress inks and lighten those areas . . . but in Hazel's world nothing goes as it does for everyone else and the Versamark just dried into the background and didn't show up at all!!

So, I did the only thing I could do so I didn't get behind again, I . . . cheated!  What I did, was, I restamped with white pigment ink . . . well, it's still technichally 'layered stamping' isn't it?  Please tell me you'd have done the same?!!

The stamps I used were, Simon Says Stamp, 'Lots Of Dots' (for the moon) and Lawn Fawn, 'Starry Backdrops' and the dies were, Clearly Besotted, 'On The Line'.

Finally I finished it with a greeting from Waltzing Mouse Stamps, 'Compliments Of The Season'

This is the end result.











As always, thanks for taking the time to stop by and I appreciate all your comments and will reciprocate where possible.  Have a good day/evening.  Hazel xx

16 comments:

  1. I love both of these projects!! The velveteen project turned out gorgeous!! I'm happy to see that the SU inks work well with this technique, too! And I love the scene that you created for the layered ink technique. Sometimes we just have to wing it, right?! Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They both look great to me Hazel, and such a lot of work there too, well done you ;) Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Hazel,

    Two beautiful and stunning makes, I just love them, especially the colours, stamping the woodgrain onto card and the sentiment on your second one.

    Of course I would have done the same thing.

    luv
    irene
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Hazel, i love the piece of woodgrain at the side.
    Hugs, Veerle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of your cards are absolutely gorgeous!! I love the backgrounds of both!! The designs are fabulous!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both are gorgeous! I love the swirly design that shows through beautifully on your first card. Yes, I would definitely do the same, and it came out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both these are beautiful cards, Hazel!!!! I love the bright pink and green on the first - so eye-catching!!
    Yep, I would also have restamped the moon on the second card, Hazel!!! It looks beautiful!!! I really like the little houses and trees and it looks great with the sentiment on the white at the bottom!!!! Stunning card!!!

    Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Both cards are stunning. I am impressed with their enormous. The first card is a nice a coherent background - thanks for the tips on how to do it. Is ideal. The second card looks like a enormous moon was hung low above the Earth and wondered about the fate of the earth wintertime. Lovely.
    hugs,
    Bozena

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful cards! but I am smitten with ur first card, incredible look!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You get excellent marks for your homework, Hazel! It's wonderful learning through you! I really love the beautiful bouquet your first card represents and I think your second card has a sensational night sky! Good for you to find a working solution rather than tossing the card!! (I don't know if I'd have been that clever!) Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, wow, wow!!! These are both drop dead gorgeous Hazel!! The first card is just stunning and I so love the color combo. Your second card I had to laugh because I didn't know that versamark would change the distress ink and make it lighter. And trust me, it would have gone the same way for me as nothing every goes as it does for everyone else! lol And I would have totally cheated just like you did!!! Your card still came out so beautiful Hazel and to me it wasn't cheating as much as it was working to solve the problem. So I say a job well done! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those came out beautifully! I'll give you and A+ and look forward to your next assignment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your velveteen technique is just gorgeous! Love the design and the colors you used. As for the 2nd card, hey, you gotta do what you gotta do. One quick note - the distress inks do NOT work with the VersaMark ink - if you rewatch the video, you see that Jennifer mentions the type of ink that does work with VersaMark. She did mention that this technique will work with distress inks BUT you have to stamp with water instead of the VersaMark!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous cards! I think you handled your Versamark dilemma perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how these both turned out...absolutely gorgeous! Also, love the colors you picked out for the Velveteen Stamping along with the stamps. Nice to see SU inks works for this technique.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love them both, simply stunning and so pretty too. Your first card looks like a picture that should be hanging on a wall and your second is the sweetest Christmas card ever.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x