Monday 10 November 2014

Less Is More Challenge #197 - Stars

Well, this challenge over at my favourite challenge blog Less Is More - Challenge  #197 - Stars,  was really a challenge for me, you see, I am still waiting to get my large stars dies and I have no big stars stamps!  

I wracked my brain and came up with the idea of using a diamond shaped die to make my own stencil, which is exactly what I did - if you stay tuned, I will tell you exactly how I achieved it!

This is the card I finally came up with.





First, I embossed the front of plain card stock with an embossing folder (see below for full list of supplies used)

Next, I made my star stencil out of a diamond shaped die.  Then, I stencilled Through with a light blue ink first, then a medium blue & finally a darker blue.  After that I white embossed tiny stars through the stencil.

TIP: Don't believe them when they say that stencil glue is low tack . . . mine ripped the face off my first attempt!  Be very careful with it!

Finally, I made my own greeting up with an alphabet stamp set.

Supplies used:

Die - Clearly Besotted 'Geometric Style 1'
Stamps - Hero Arts 'Tiny Stars' & Lawn Fawn 'Violets ABC's'
Inks - Distress Inks in, 'Broken China', 'Tumbled Glass' & 'Stromy Sky' and Colorbox 'Paintbox, primary colours' (for the sentiment)
Embossing Plate - Papertrey Ink 'Linen'

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and I appreciate all your comments!  Hazel xx

10 comments:

  1. Lovely card and thanks for the tip about stencil glue. Tracey x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super colourful star and a fabulous idea for extending stamps further.
    Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
    Sarah xx
    Less is More

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks gorgeous... the gradation of colour is superb and it's so innovative to make a large star this way!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete
  4. FABULOUS card and a great idea too

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hazel what a clever idea and stylish card, love the shading on your sentiment!
    Thanks so much for your LIM entry
    Anne
    Less is More Designer

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful card Hazel, I love your design and pretty blues.
    Pauline
    x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Hazel! I am visiting via Darnell - she is outstanding isn't she? Love your blog, and your cards, especially this star stencil! And yes, those 'low tack' tapes aren't really, are they? I have tried painters tape - needs to be rubbed vigorously on jeans before using, and even then it's too sticky, and recently, I'm trying micropore tape (surgical) and that seems to be much better - softer stick.
    That ef you used on the front of your card is a bonus - no more need to buy fancy cards, eh? Sorry my comment is so long, but this is my first visit lol! hugs, Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great design, Hazel - it jumped out at me on the LIM gallery! Such a creative idea to use the stencil to create the star design and love the blues you have used. Beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one really popped out at me on the board. Love it, beautiful colours and design.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x