Friday 29 April 2016

CAS(E) This Sketch #170



Hi everyone, sorry I haven't been around much over the last week or so, but something hasn't agreed with my system - I won't go into detail, but I have spent far more time in the bathroom than my craft room - I think it is due to my new, 'healthy' diet, not agreeing with me!

Anywho, between times, I managed to make this card for the CAS(E) This Sketch Challenge which is a knockout sketch by the talented Hannelie Bester, this is the sketch.

http://casethissketch.blogspot.co.uk/2016/04/case-this-sketch-170.html
This is my interpretation.





I took a watercolour panel that I had in my drawer - I keep a drawer full of panels that I have made during 'technique try-out' sessions.  This piece is what I refer to as a 'mop up piece', you know, you have some left over ink on your craft mat from a 'technique try-out' and you can't bear to just mop it up and throw it away, so you mop up with another card-stock panel instead.  It has a more subtle effect than the original piece, but is perfect for CAS designs - it's hard to show the subtle shimmer and soft colours in the photographs, but is really pretty IRL.

I drew some lines on it, following the sketch, then I cut along the lines and divided the panel up.  Next, I took a 'stitched edge' die and ran it along the edges of the design, but left the margin edges plain.  Then I took a piece of coordinating card-stock and mounted the pieces on to it leaving gaps between the pieces.  I mounted the focal panel on to a white card base.

I finished it off with a die cut 'thanks' and a heat embossed 'you' on a snippet of black card-stock and added three glitter card 'punchies' in a coordinating colour too.

Thank you so much for your visit today and especially if you have left a comment.  You are all appreciated more than you know!


17 comments:

  1. Now firstly lets put a stop to that healthy diet for a start!!! Yes I agree with you on the talented Hannelie. Loving your punchies. Great use of your mop ups. Very creative take on the sketch and glad you are back in action x Have a lovely weekend x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this is wonderful! What a perfect take on the sketch!
    I hope you feel better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely card Hazel - i keep those watercolored panels too and they're so great to have on hand - thanks for sharing how you constructed the card 'cause when i first looked at it i couldn't quite figure how it was done. hope your tummy is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no Hazel, so sorry you have been unwell! sounds a bit like what I had, not nice is it! hope you are feeling better now, take it easy!!!such a pretty card here, I love how you divided it up and the stitching of course.We have a family gathering tomorrow and I have been cooking mostly today lol. Dying for a rest now, thank you for all the good wishes too ;) hugs Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's such a brilliant sketch and I love your take on it. I like the stitched edging on the panels. I also love that you have is drawer full of card panels ready to go - you are very organised! I'm hoping you feel a bit better soon. Tummy bugs that mean you run to the loo are not fun at all! 😘 Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love this Hazel, the subtle colour is very lovely.
    I hope your system will calm down soon.
    Hugs Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you're not feeling to well Hazel. I love this card. The colours are incredibly pretty and I think it's very clever the way you have cut and diecut the card. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great take on a great sketch Hazel. Hope you're feeling better now. Enjoy the bank holiday weekend. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful and soft watercolour panel Hazel. Your mop-ups look like works of art to me. :) Love the stitching detail and the blue background. Great design. Hope you're feeling better soon! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Saw this earlier on FB, loved it then, love it now! You know I'll be hunting for this edged die! Amazing mop-up piece work on this, as it turned out splendidly with the design you did. (another piece removed from the pile, yes! YAY!) It's an unusual layout, most appealing, and amazing card. Sure hope you feel better real soon. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you are feeling much better soon my friend. Your card is absolutely gorgeous!! Your "mopped-up" background piece is beautiful!! I love how you used the stitched dies for the edges!! Perfect take on the sketch!! Feel better and have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such a pretty card! Thanks for joining us at CAS(E) This Sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your take on the sketch. Adding the stitch lines was a superb idea! They add so much interest.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely use of the sketch -- pretty panels

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great take on Hannelie's great sketch, Hazel!!! Love that subtle and very soft colouring on the cut panels and it works wonderfully on the soft blue base!!!! The sentiment looks fabulous in black and the three dots and the stitched lines add so much to the success of the whole design!!!! Beautifully done, my friend!!!
    Have a great Sunday and I hope you're feeling better by now and spending more time at your craft table than in the bathroom!!! (you might have lost a few pounds - maybe I should get your 'healty' diet tips!!! LOL!!!!)
    Keep well, friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your healthy diet needs a redux! Nobody should be spending excessive amounts of time in the bathroom in the name of healthy, that's for sure. I hope you're feeling up to snuff soon but I'm happy that you were feeling well enough to putter around and cook up this beauty. Mops in my house never looked this good I can say with utter confidence! The black sentiment along with the subtle colors on your mop up piece are perfect together.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for your kind words Hazel... and for making such a beautiful card with my sketch!
    Much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x