Friday 15 April 2016

Small Stamps & More Experimentation


Hi my friends.  I hope everyone is fine and well.  Hands up, how many of you remember peg stamps when they first came out?  I have a couple of sets, which were pushed aside and forgotten.  However, there are some 'new kids on the block' called, Majestix, and they are clear stamps and the pegs are acrylic (you buy these separately, just like ordinary clear stamps and blocks (the old ones were red rubber on wooden dowels.

What I loved/love about these tiny stamps is the sheer amount of different 'arrangements' you can get from just one tiny set of images and they are made to go together easily.  Some of the sets only have four images and others, up to eight, depending on what set you get.  Another plus, is that as they are so very small, you don't have to be too fussy about your stamping - that's not to say that you can be sloppy - but if you make some errors, half-stamped images, little smudges here or there . . . it just isn't that noticeable!  You can see my mistakes in the detail shots below, but in real life, they are really only noticeable to us crafters!

For my card here, I used the 'Sakura Blooms' set of images and a tiny butterfly from the 'Anemone Garden',  and a sweet little bird from the 'Bullfinches and Blooms' set and went around him with a fine liner, as he was a little 'lost' amongst all that foliage!

Next, I stamped my sentiment and heat embossed in clear embossing powder a piece of grey card-stock that I had stamped the My Favorite Things, 'Lace' background stamp on, for a little texture.  The grey looks really dark in the pictures, but in fact it is more of a mid grey!  I adhered that down to a white card base, leaving a small strip of white to the left.  Then, I fussy cut the corner and mounted the stamped panel up on foam tape for a little dimension.  I finished the whole look with some more of my home made dew drops (more on that after the rest of the pictures, so those of you in a hurry are able to get off).  Here is the card!






Right, for those of you still with me . . . WOW, you are tenacious, thank you!  The dew drops.  I wanted to experiment with getting different colours of dew drops, so these were 'tinted' with some Brusho powder in Rose Red.

When I melted the WOW 'Melt It' powder, I sprinkled some Brusho into the melted powder.  However, it took an awful lot of time before it mixed in, so, the next time I'm going to try mixing some Brusho powder in with the 'Melt It' powder whilst it is dry (I think I should have done that this time, but hindsight is always 20/20).

Well my friends, that's it from me today, I'm off now to catch up on the  blog visits and commenting that I have neglected whilst experimenting today!  Have a lovely day. xx 

** Addendum **
  
So many of you have been asking about my dew drops, so here, for those who would like  to know is how I made them!

  • Get a foil container (WOW sells them along with the Melt It powder, but a small, tart foil container from the supermarket will suffice)
  • Put a peg/clothes pin on the rim to hold the container - it will get very hot - or you can do what I did and just use your reverse tweezers, and pinch the opposite side of the rim to make a little pouring spout.
  • Pour in some of the Melt It powder (it doesn't matter how much, because it depends on how many dew drops you want)
  • Get your heat gun and heat the Melt It powder from the bottom (or, if you like the dusting you see on cakes, from the top, like I tried once - I'm still dusting off all surfaces), it melts quite quickly, depending on how much you use of course.
  • Then, when it's all turned to liquid  start dripping it out on to a craft mat/cooking sheet (I found that the quicker you drip the more chance of getting perfectly round ones).  Don't worry about the misshapen ones, because  they set very quickly, so you just pick up the misshapes and put them back into the container and remelt, and pour again, and you keep doing that until it's all used up and you have a load of beautiful dew drops.
Try experimenting with different colouring mediums, here I have tried some Brusho powder mixed in with the melted powder, but it took ages to mix, so next time I'm going to try mixing in some Brusho in to the powder before melting it and see how that goes.  I have also tried mixing in some embossing glitter from WOW and that worked well too!

Let me know if you have had a go and how you got on, I'd love to hear about your experiments and results!

Have a wonderful weekend of new discoveries my friends!  
 

21 comments:

  1. What a pretty arrangement! I like how you used that tiny circle as a stand alone flower and a flower center.
    I do love the peg stamps, even though I was not stamping when they first came out, I do think they are lots of fun. I have seen the majestix on Pinterest, but have not seen them available in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow such a great card here Hazel! oh oh do I need those stamps now though??lol.....and the dewdrops, they caught my eye straight away.
    Amazing colour, Wow E/P......just realised I have some...a few infact. How did you make the dewdrops....just melt and drip?? I need to make some of those!It wasn't my new furniture in my photo's btw. lol. It was a long piece of wood Colin made for me to take my photographs with ;)enjoy your weekend! Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. darling card with all the little flowers and your little bird in the corner is so cute - have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, this is absolutely gorgeous, Hazel!! I love the touches you added...tracing around the bird so he stands out and fussy cutting the corner!! The stamping looks amazing!! Love this my friend!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving all those little stamps. Such pretty colours. Fabulous the fussy cutting in the corner and the lost delightful little bird, delicate and pretty card x Looking forward to result of the brusho's after it is dry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I have heard of these peg stamps, but you have my interest peaked about them. I do however love the scene you have created on this beautiful card! I love too that you got the brusho's to work in tinting your homemade dew drops, and I bet it will work even more better the next time with mixing the powders together and then melting. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so pretty, Hazel. I have seen these stamp sets but not succumbed... yet!!!
    I actually have 3 wooden dowel alphabet sets. Very cute, but not used as yet. Although I did by them with a project in mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have some of the peg stamps by Majestix - they are from Christmas last year and I am looking to try some other techniques with them. I don't have a peg, just use them with a small acrylic block which works rather well. This is a really beautiful example of what you can do with the tiny stamps. I also admire your experimentation with all your enamel and dew drops! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome use of the smaller images! Makes for a wonderful happy card :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a pretty card and that little bird is so adorable. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  11. My hand is up - can you see it? I have plenty of peg stamps collecting dust here! Thanks for showing me how to make a gorgeous card with them! The pink flowers are lovely with the butterflies and the wee bird!
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Susanne

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty Hazel and I love that grey border, looks so distinguished.
    Hugs, x

    BTW If can't find the rose stencil in the UK I can send you one. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your card is so pretty, Hazel! I love your little dew drops. Do you use a heat gun to melt the Melt It! powder? How do you get them so perfectly round? Sorry for asking so many questions - I'm just intrigued.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, this is so beautiful, Hazel!!!! Love all the sweet little pink flowers and the pretty butterflies and the little bird is just soooooo cute!!!! Your coloured dew drops look amazing!!! Lovely, my friend!!!!
    Have a great weekend!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a gorgeous card Hazel and I enjoyed reading all about it. All the extra things you did make your card look extra special. I am going to have to dig out my old lace stamps after seeing what you did with that lovely grey border. I like how you have cut round the bottom of the card and drawing round the little bird makes him a great focal point.

    I don't quite understand how you made the little dewdrops but they look beautiful. A really eyecatching card. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a gorgeous card Hazel, love the wonderful image you have created with the tiny stamps and those dew drops are fab !
    Hugs, Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well done making your own dew drops, Hazel, and thanks for the how-to! This card is a new favorite, I just love it so much! I am really liking that corner treatment!! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good grief woman! Is there no end to your talents? Home made dew drops? Well I never!

    Very pretty card using your sweet floral stamps teamed with the contrasting sentiment and side strip.

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this little corner flower garden you've made! Love the dew drops too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've never heard of peg stamps, but you have done a fabulous job with this. :) Love this bouquet of blooms on your card. Outline the bird is sheer genius! And I love your tinted dew drops. Might have to start making my own. You inspire me!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Absolutely gorgeous card! I have one peg stamp. Can not get rid of it but do not use it much.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x