Saturday 9 April 2016

Handwriting Practice . . . use it or lose it!



Today, I wanted to talk about something a little different . . . you will see what I mean later in this post.  You see, I have had numerous different hobbies throughout my life, creative writing, poetry writing, photography, knitting, cooking . . . well, the list goes on and on.  However, being the kind of obsessive creature that I am, whatever was my current passion took precedence and everything else was pushed way back into the background and almost forgotten (my dear, late father used to say I had a "butterfly mind" . . . flitting from one thing to another)

One of my passions obsessions years ago was calligraphy - more the traditional Gothic (style) type than the modern script/brush lettering style of today, but of course the same basic principles remain the same . . . thicker down-strokes, lighter up-strokes, you get the gist.  Well, I see all these fabulous, scripty fonts used for sentiment stamps, and had a yearning for 'giving it a go', how difficult could it be, right?  I'd done it before - 30 years ago - but still . . .  turns out the old maxim, 'use it or lose it' is true!

However, being a crafter and not wanting to throw anything out, I still  had to make a card out of one of my (poor) attempts - you can clearly see that I have lost the fluidity and flow and the result is 'bumpy' lines and questionable results.  One of the main problems with this particular sample is that the pen was far too broad, the rest of the problems are just down to the simple truth, is that I am no longer any good at it, but with practice, maybe, I could get there.  So, here, warts and all, is my feeble attempt and I am hoping this will serve as a lesson to all who have practised hard at something and got to a level where they are happy,  keep up with it, even if it's only once a week.  Don't lose it like I have done!






I just stamped some small flowers from the Mama Elephant 'Merci' set that had just arrived through my door and then stamped the rest of the sentiment with my all time favourite, Altenew's 'Label Love' set and made it into a banner and now, seeing it with my writing, another 'goof' that hit me in the eyes, is, it is far too small!  Oh well, back to the drawing board . . . I'm going to have to practice!  Have a great, crafty weekend my friends!

18 comments:

  1. Sorry for the late commenting this week! Hazel it looks fine...really! I love the pretty flowers and stamping and your calligraphy looks great too. We really are our own worst critics it's true lol.I have dabbled with calligraphy too recently,not brilliant sadly.Now I am into shabby chic and decoupage(on wood) lol. I ordered that scalloped edge die too btw. ;) hugs Viv xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the flowers and the sentiment - it's so perfectly laid out for a CAS one layer card. You're too hard on yourself, but I do understand where you are coming from. I got through obsessions too and fully expected the card making to burn out within a year - am amazed it's lasted so long!! I reckon with a tiny bit of practice you could be back to where you were. I was quite amazed that my piano playing wasn't as awful as I had recollected :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too hard on yourself, Hazel!! I think it looks amazing!! You haven't lost your touch!! I love the pretty flowers, too!! This is gorgeous my friend!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's not a WART! Calligraphy was always something I wished to learn, never did. Your first effort after a long absence may not have been exactly what you wished it to be, but it's very nice indeed. It is 'hand done', not stamped, and looks pretty with the banner stamping too. I'm loving the bottom floral design also, and the rounded corners were a special touch. Hope you keep practicing, doubt it will take long to get your 'hand' back! TFS & happy wkend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well it looks lovely to me. I would certainly be very pleased to have done it. The stamped flowers look beautiful too. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. your card is lovely Hazel - calligraphy used to be one of my loves also but i seldom use it anymore - but recently i found this blog (https://thepostmansknock.com/blog/) and she has inspired me to try some of the modern calligraphy - she even has some nice free stuff for practice. check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know Hazel, your attempt after so long from not doing calligraphy looks great to me! I love this card, those flowers are so pretty. I know if you keep practicing you will be great in your eyes again, but you already are in ours! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun to pair an old hobby with a new one. They are great together! What a beautiful card. Only you can see the flaws, I certainly can't.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are amazing...what a great talent to add to your card making! Your card is just so beautiful and I love your touch of handwriting your sentiment, love the personal touch. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think your card is beautiful, Hazel - your calligraphy, too. I once tried to learn calligraphy from a book, but failed miserably. Maybe I would have done better if I'd had some of today's video tutorials to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks gorgeous! Those flowers are really fun too~

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think you did a great job Hazel. I think we might have been separated at birth. :) I also took Calligraphy lessons many, many years ago. Oh my gosh ... I don't know if I could add to a card as nicely as you did. I think I was in my 20s when I learned calligraphy. But, you have inspired me to try it again. I'll give it a go! I also have flitted from one hobby to the next during my yearly adult years. I have done knitting, crocheting, stained glass, macrame, cross-stitch, and of course calligraphy, plus a lot more. And about eight years ago I took piano lessons. That's something I haven't done for a couple of years now and I really don't want to loose that. :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, my, you also did calligraphy, Hazel!!!! That was one of the things I also used to enjoy doing years ago!!! I went for several classes and quite enjoyed it, but I wasn't artistic enough to make the amazing things I saw in books, so I lost interest!!! I also made cards with calligraphy on it, but I can't believe that I thought that it was sort of OK!!!! Calligraphy is something that you have to keep practicing, hey - if I had to do it now I think it will look like a fly running through ink!!! I think you have done quite a good job with this card!!! I love the cute little flowers and the written 'merci' fits perfectly into it's spot between them!!! I also love that you've used the 'Label love' set to complete the sentiment - the calligraphy works beautifully with it!!!! Not bad at all, my friend!!! I think your card is lovely!!!
    Have a wonderful week!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello there Butterfly Mind . . . that sounds so much better than "bird brain" don't you think? LOL!

    I really like this card with the black contrasting nicely with the pretty coloured flowers. GOOD JOB on the writing . . . I think you're being very hard on yourself with your criticism of it. I'd be happy if I could write that well!

    Hugs, Sarn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a pretty card. Really enjoyed reading your blog and how right you are. I too did calligraphy many moons ago and I may very well get out those pens again..Thank you for the inspiration x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it's true about lose it or use it. No, wait, I mean the other way around. But, as usual, Hazel, you are too hard on yourself and I think your card is really very pretty just as it is! I love those sweet flowers and can see why you wanted to use them right away! Calligraphy is something I always wanted to learn to do and never did. Sigh. I'm very like you when it comes to butterfly brain and being a single-tasker. Whatever I'm doing at the time gets my full attention. Period. Do you know that there are some people who can READ TWO BOOKS AT THE SAME TIME? Gives me the shivers! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hazel, I love your purple flowers and the pop with the black sentiment. You still make CAS cards look so simple but hats off to you because they are difficult to do!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't see any mistakes on this, Hazel!!!
    But I do see a lovely card. X

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x