Saturday 27 February 2016

Freshly Made Sketches #225 - A Sketch by Jen M


For the past few days I have been 'playing' with inks, paints, waxes, and watercolours in various forms and having a ball, with the result of having a stack of backgrounds  - that I love looking at, but have no idea what to do with them all!  Then I had a 'light-bulb'  moment and thought, why don't I make them the stars of various cards, so, here is one of them.

This card is for, Freshly Made Sketches #225 - A Sketch by Jen M and here is the sketch

http://freshlymadesketches.blogspot.co.uk/2016/02/freshly-made-sketches-225-sketch-by-jen.html
The panel on the right, was made by just scribbling some cheap markers on to a piece of card-stock and then adding water to soften it out, then when it was dry, I applied a light spritz of shimmer to it  and again, let it dry.

Next I mounted it flat to a white card base and made my focal piece by cutting a square of card and punched the edge with an EK Success border punch, adhered two black, die-cut leaves and popped a sentiment banner up on foam squares.

Finally, I mounted the focal piece to the front with fun foam (as it is thinner than my foam squares and I wanted to have a little less height to it but didn't want it flat) . . . I then decided retrospectively that I needed to tie the black elements in to the watercolour piece and went around it with a black Sharpie and a ruler, which made it look more 'finished'.

Here is my card.





I appreciate your visits and will reciprocate where possible!   Thank you all.  Have a great weekend!  Hazel xx

23 comments:

  1. Your background is really pretty ... and such an easy technique. Love the black accents that pull this all together and give it some drama. xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely background - black and white with a pop of color is so classy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great card, love the effect on the coloured panel. Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this Hazel. It's a really striking card. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Hazel! Loving all this inkiness. lol I love the look you got from take markers and scribbling on a piece of cardstock and spritzing it, it makes for a beautiful panel on this card. I thought you used black cardstock as a panel until I read farther and found out that you used another marker! Great way to tie it all together my friend. Love the focal panel was well. Can't wait to see what other inky projects you have for us. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know I said it on FB but ... how FAB is your card? Of course, you KNOW I love purple so it was ALWAYS going to get my vote but the card is super special too

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, this is stunning, Hazel!! The background looks amazing!! I love the colors!! The focal point is fabulous!! The black border you added is a perfect touch!! Gorgeous card my friend!! Wow!! Have a great weekend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful design Hazel, the scribbled piece is perfect artsy and cool all at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous use of the sketch -- This is one of my most favorite dies too - LOVE this fern!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore your colorful background. The shades of color are so beautiful and remind me of stormy skies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Goodness me Hazel this is so gorgeous. Really stunning my friend. I love the colour of your background together with the black elements.
    Hugs, Veerle x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, your back ground turned out wondefully. Loving those die cut leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful background and great take on the sketch!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a very classy card, my friend! Love the way that black leaf pops off the beautiful background!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The black foliage really pops against that gorgeous background! So happy to see you at FMS, Hazel!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Loved how the black n white stand out beautifully on colored panel !

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the background - who knew you could get such an effect from cheap markers?? They pop so well with the black sentiment and leaf. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow . . . love yr inky background and the brilliant focal point. Top job x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay,you put your beautiful background to good use on the wonderful card! Love the bold black in front. I had a friend ( Bonnie) send me a few of her gorgeous backgrounds, perfect for a quick card!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This card is so stunning! I love the subtle use of the black background and it all comes together withthe black leaves. Very nice...it is a winner in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your background looks amazing! Love this card, Hazel. The black flora against your beautiful background is really stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  22. WOW, your bg looks fabulous, Hazel and I love the notebook edge on the side of the small piece of cs!!!!! The leaves are so beautiful and the sentiment banner is so lovely!!!! And for sure I'm enjoying a feast for the eyes!!!! Can't wait to see the rest!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x