Saturday 28 January 2017

Mum's Birthday Bling


Good afternoon friends!  As those of you who regularly visit my little blog will know, it was my Mum's birthday a few days ago.  Now, my Mum is a 'bling' type of gal, she loves anything that sparkles, shines or (but preferably all three together) shimmers!   I, on the other hand, prefer, crisp, clean space with colours that pop, so, making a card for Mum is difficult for me.  To combine a card that Mum can ooh and aah over, and one that I can enjoy making!  I know that making one that pleases Mum is paramount, but if I don't enjoy making a card, I feel that it is reflected in the end result (maybe it's just because it isn't to my personal taste . . . I don't know) . . . anywho, below is what we ended up with!  I will explain my thinking below the pics.




First, I got together, a A5 card base (approx 5.83" X 8.27" for my US friends), a sheet of shimmer paper in Mum's favourite blue, a stencil, stamps, some sparkle paste and a brand new (ooh, I've just had a thought, I will add this to Darnell's NBUS Challenge #9!   Tim Holtz Mixed Media Die.

http://www.djkardkreations.com/2017/01/nbus-challenge-9.html

I'm afraid it hasn't got the optional theme element, of the 'hidden word' Darnell, I hope that's OK?

First, I made the card base and used the Tim Holtz die to cut the pattern in the corner and backed it with the blue shimmer paper, which has a texture to it.  Then, I used the stencil to partial stencil the shimmer paste to two opposite corners.  Next, I cut a 'lable' using a Spellbinders 'label' die and cut part of it off on the sides to make a tag.  Then I backed the open areas with more of the blue shimmer paper and stamped the sentiment and image in a coordinating ink colour and called it done.

I apologise for the quality of the pictures, only, as you probably know, I'm in the process of moving into a new craft space and I have had to move my light-box to another position and it doesn't face the window as it used to, so I am in the process of arranging and re-arranging everything to try to get the room to work as I want it to! 

Thank you so much for your visit today and especially if you have left a comment.  You are all appreciated more than you know! If you have a question, please be sure I have a way to contact you so I can answer, as a lot of you are 'no-reply' bloggers, so I am unable to reply via e-mail.


21 comments:

  1. This is soooo pretty Hazel and I'm sure there will have been sufficient bling and sparkle for your Mum to ooh and aah over...lol. The die cut flourish and the gorgeous shimmer paste are beautiful and the sentiment tag is a lovely touch, and love that blue too. I am like you I find it difficult to make something that doesn't appeal to me and it is a fine line between pleasing the recipient and pleasing yourself as well. Enjoy your weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is really beautiful! I am such a fan of that color of blue and the sparkle paste!!!! Wow, that sparkle is amazing. Your mum must have just adored it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a terrible GOOD job Hazel my dear. This card is a stunner and the bling is classy, love it. I bet your mum was pleased too. Enjoy the weekend, hugs Veerle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. So pretty! I bet Iris was thrilled with this card, Hazel. The bright blue really pops from behind the die-cuts. And love the shimmery embossing paste --- gorgeous! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. wonderful card - lovely sentiment - Mum will love it I"m sure!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is absolutely stunning, Hazel!! I love the beautiful sparkle and shimmer!! The sparkle paste is awesome and the blue is so pretty!! The sentiment is so sweet!! I know your Mom adored this!! It's so gorgeous!! I hope she is doing well and that you are having a wonderful weekend my friend!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Hazel !! This is a very beautiful card !! I love the strong contrasts between white and this wonderful blue. Amazing!
    Please submit your best wishes for Mom. Let her promotes health and happiness and let your mom every day will find a lot of reasons to smile.
    Hugs,
    BożenA

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is a gorgeous card. Blue is one of my favourite colours and it is such a deep and vivid blue it makes the card really shine along with that gorgeous sparkle paste. A very Happy Birthdsy to your Mum and I look forward to seeing what your new space will be like :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooooh, I do love this card, and I'm sure your Mum did, too. That blue is such a lovely, vibrant shade and the stenciled sparkle paste added a wonderful shimmer and shine. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Hazel, this is one stunning birthday card for your mum!!!! I love the shimmer paper, such a beautiful color. I also love the shimmer paste you used to stencil with, oh and that stencil is awesome! Your tag is just beautiful as well. I think your mum had to fall in love with this stunning birthday card and I bet she is bragging that her beautiful daughter made it!!! Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday Wishes to your Mum Hazel. Your card is a beauty with lots of shimmer and shine and I love the glitter paste by the way. I'm sure your Mum will love it and that's the important thing although it's not necessarily your style. I think it's lovely and a very special sentiment. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sending birthday wishes to your mum....what a wonderful card, so beautiful and elegant.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your "compromise" looks very elegant and classy! I am sure you Mum loved it! Best wishes for her birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, for sure your DM loved all the wonderful shimmer and shine on this beautiful card, Hazel!!! So cleverly done with the die cut and the shimmer paper and the stenciling with the shimmer paste!!!! The bright blue is just gorgeous!!!!! And that sentiment is so special for a dear mom, hey!!!! So beautiful, my friend!!!!
    Have a great week!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes it is hard combining styles etc but wow have you done a fabulous job. I do so love the texture, the sparkle and the gorgeous shade of blue. I enjoy reading how you did it, so thank you for the step by step. Bet your Mum loved the card and hope she had a wonderful birthday? Hope the organizing is going well? I finally got there x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hazel - happy birthday wishes to your mum! Mine is from High Wycombe, Bucks! I love your card , so striking and gives a beautiful contrast ❤️ New follower here, so nice to meet your in blog land :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your mom will be so pleased! It's got a bit of both of you blended in there! I love the shiny blue and that wonderful glitter paste! Your design has great balance too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The glitter on the scroll is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy belated Birthday wishes to your sweet Mom. I know she was so pleased with this gorgeous card. It had loads of bling, but it was very subtle in the way you've used sparkle. I love the royal blue highlights, and those elegant swirls. The sparkle on the paste embossing - more yummy. And the design & sentiment on that lovely tag, well, what Mom could ask for a more lovely card! I saw this earlier, but not time to leave a comment. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that shimmer past and the die is gorgeous! (I'm going to have to look for that one!) I love the crisp blue and white! I'm sure your Mum enjoyed it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am in awe of all that went into making this brilliant card for your sweet Mum, Hazel! I'll bet she just loved it with that beautiful blue and schparkle!! Thank you so much for playing in my NBUS Challenge #9! Thank you, too, for your kind get well comments! I'm doing really well, considering! Wishing you lots of luck and lots of fun rearranging your craft space!!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x