Tuesday 3 January 2017

First Cards & Two Challenges!


Hello one and all.  I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and that the new year in 2017 is kind to us all, with health and happiness in abundance!

The new year has started off better than the end of last year for us, as Mum is so much stronger than she was, she will always need a lot of support (well, she is 91 years old in a few weeks and with a dodgy heart), but thankfully, she is as good as she is going to get and more like her old self.  I owe so much to all of you my friends for your words of support and thoughts and prayers during her ordeal, and she has asked me to thank you all on her behalf . . . so, thank you, thank you!

This is the first cards made of 2017 and I have neglected some of my usual challenges, so here are two that I made today for two of my favourites.

The first here is for the challenge that gave me my first shot at being in a design team, it is for the Happy Little Stampers CAS challenge that requires the use of a stencil this month.

http://www.happylittlestampers.com/2017/01/hls-january-cas-challenge.html

This is the card . . . a shaker for next Christmas, as I don't intend to get caught out this year!




The second card is for another of my very favourites and that is my dear dear friends Loll and Bonnie's CAS Mix Up challenge  which asks for, Stamping, Liquid Colours + Your Choice.

http://casmixup.blogspot.co.uk/2017/01/cas-mix-up-january-challenge.html

I wanted to try this technique that I saw on You Tube HERE however, I couldn't find my alcohol inks (and may never do so again, due to the appalling state of my craft room!)  So, instead I improvised and used Stampin' Up re-inkers.  I got a piece of watercolour paper and wet it liberally and then I dropped drips of  'Island Indigo' in spots and moved it around a bit.  Then I spritzed with more water and repeated the dripping.  I finished the piece, by laying it face down, once it was dry, in the residue on my mat and mopped up.

I wanted to make the piece the 'star' of the show, so I just dry embossed the top left corner with a die (my choice) and stamped the sentiment on a piece of white card-stock  and punched a border, then mounted it to the front of the card base.  Here it is.





Thank you so much for your visit today and especially if you have left a comment.  You are all appreciated more than you know! If you have a question, please be sure I have a way to contact you so I can answer, as a lot of you are 'no-reply' bloggers, so I am unable to reply via e-mail.


20 comments:

  1. I echo your sentiments and love this pair of cards, particularly the liquid inks in blue xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty!! LOVE the flow of the reinkers on your card front Hazel. Very arsty with all the visual dimension from the splatters. And it looks so pretty again all that white ... the dry embossing in the corner is just perfect. Thanks so much for shairng with us at CAS Mix Up!

    LOVE your shaker card too ... so pretty with the sparkly embossing paste on the diagonal. And the shaker is so pretty and shines with all that gold. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done a terrific job of mimicking the alcohol ink properties with re-inkers, Hazel! Love that background and the corner embossing is brilliant! Thanks so much for sharing this with us at CAS Mix Up! Love the shaker card too with all that gold! Very elegant and fun! Happy New Year, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are just so talented, Hazel. Love your cards today. Hope they win those challenges you've entered. :) I'm so happy that your mom is doing well, and I wish her all the best in the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hazel my friend you are ALWAYS so clever with this cas mix up challenges. I love your card, well bith of them. The first one is a jewel too. But the second one, you my dear are so clever with this. I am jealous of you. (in a healthy way LOL)
    So glad to read your mum is better. Enjoy each others company as our parents are so dear to us, aren't they ?
    Big hug to you, Veerle xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Hazel, so lovely to see your two beautiful cards. What a great shaker card with the white glitter stencilling on the diagonal and the shaker element with the sequins is perfect. I love that gorgeous blue background and the embellishing with the embossing on the diagonal and the scalloped sentiment border has finished it so prettily. So glad your Mum is doing well and long may it continue, and hopefully you will have more time to be creative, and wishing you a Happy New Year. x

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy that you have more time to create now -- I adore your CAS Mix Up card - love the navy blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. Two really beautiful cards Hazel and I love the piece you made with the reinkers. It's become a beautiful card.

    It's good to hear that your Mum has improved so much. I hope that she continues to keep well and hope that you will now feel more relaxed. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. wonderful cards, Hazel - especially love the gold shaker. good to hear Mum is doing well and you also. HNY!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad your home life is settling down a little and your Mum is feeling so much better x Your first card is so classy and love the gold with the stenciled background, clever idea to make it a shaker card x Clever technique on the second card and clever idea to use the re-inkers...Hasn't it worked really well? Thank you for sharing these beauties x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Two simply beautiful cards Hazel...love all that gorgeous gold and your blue card is stunning. Love that incredible background. Sending well wishes and hugs to your mum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so happy to see you stamping more Hazel. I LOVE your Creative CAS style. How wonderful that your mom is doing so much better. TFS your gorgeous Christmas card and your CAS Mix Up artsy smooshed background. I love how you added your sentiment with the punched border too. TFS and wishing you and your family, esp your mom and Healthy, Happy New Year. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  13. First off I am so happy to hear that your mum is getting stronger and holding her own! That is wonderful news to start the new year out with!! I am so loving your shaker card Hazel! It is so classy and elegant. Love the Merry Christmas die, who is that from? So beautiful as is the stenciling. I also love the mixed media challenge card. You sure did let the inking be the star and it is fabulous! Love it! Hugs Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would say that you started the year with a bang by making two spectacular cards! The Christmas shaker is so festive and the blue background and the embossed die cut look fabulous!
    So glad to hear that your Mum is in a much better place!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy New Year, Hazel! I'm so happy to hear that your mum is doing better! God Bless Her at 91...WOW!!! You have created two really beautiful cards ~ I love your gold foil shaker component on the first one, and how you added sparkle to your stencil! I also love how you created the panel with your SU re-inkers...so striking, and your partial embossing is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your beautiful gold shaker card, Hazel, but that blue molten marvel just stole my heart!! How cool that you got the depth and interest you did with your reinkers! This is a total winner in my book!!

    I'm delighted to hear that your Mum is doing so much better! Bless her ~ I have a dodgy heart and rough days and I'm a long ways from 91, so I'm impressed!! Long may her improvement continue! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the wonderful watery blue background you created for your CAS Mix Up challenge card - the dry embossed background sets it off nicely! thank you for joining us in the challenge!! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a stunning pair of cards Hazel! As ever, the blues are a firm favourite with me, but I love the depth and texture you got into that sumptuous white and gold creation.
    Thanks so much for joining us for the Happy Little Stampers Clean & Simple Challenge
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! Two fabulous cards, Hazel! Love the look you got with the re-inkers! I might need to give that a try!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh Hazel! Two wonderful card! The first card looks amazing with an additional dimension made by stencil, which is the background for the shaker. What an amazing idea! The second card is so wonderful watercolor background. I love the way you have done a background blanking die ... You're amazing.
    Thank you for sharing with us at HLS,
    hugs,
    BożenA

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x