Wednesday 19 August 2015

Stepping Out Of My Comfort Zone!

Hi all my lovely friends!  I will have to keep this post fairly short, as the internet is still playing up (not as much as it has been, but still enough to make it quite tedious).

However, you know what they say, “When life gives you lemons, make lemonade” . . . well, I did just that!  When my computer was playing up and the internet was hardly usable, I made cards!!

I have been trying techniques and styles that I have never had the nerve to try before and this is one of them.


Some of the 'experiments' I have tried have been more successful than others, but the failure is in the 'not trying', not the failure itself . . . right?

Anywho, today I stepped out of my comfort zone and thought I would have a go at the kind of 'artsy' style I admire in other's work, but have never had the nerve, or the talent to try.  The result is  not wonderful, but who's is 100% of the time?  Plus, I had fun trying!

Here it is, exposed in all it's nakedness and feeling vulnerable . . . well, that's how it feels








I used a NBUS stamp set from Simon Says Stamp and stamped and masked one of the trees on to a sponged background, coloured them sketchily - for texture - and added the white dots that are so popular now and stamped the sentiments from the same stamp set.

If I did it again, I would definitely stamp the sentiments in the same brown I used for the trees, rather than the harsh black.

Constructive criticism would be welcome from artists out there more versed in this style!  Thank you for taking the time to visit today and for all your comments, they are always very welcome!  Have a lovely day . . .  it's pouring with rain here!  Hazel xx

13 comments:

  1. Loved it..as you said its kind of Artsy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, this is absolutely stunning!! I wouldn't change a thing!! The colors and details are perfect!! I love, love this!! It might have been out of your comfort zone, but you did an amazing job!! I hope the internet gets fixed soon - how frustrating!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'd say that was a pretty darned good first attempt! I love it! The trees in the background look great. The only thing I would do differently is not have the words down the side - I think it breaks the peace of the piece - if that makes sense. I am, however no expert! I think you should be rightly proud of yourself! That stamp set is on my wish list :) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ruth! Yes, I do get what you mean, and I was unsure about that too . . . well, not just that! Sometimes the crafting community is just so sweet that it can be unhelpful . . . not that I am ungrateful, everyone likes to hear nice things . . . and I like it more than most! LOL But that is why I asked for constructive criticism! Have a lovely day my friend! Hazel xx

      Delete
  4. I'm not versed in this style, Hazel, but I can certainly recognize a beautiful card when I see one and that's what I think you have created here! I love that you stepped out of your comfort zone and in my eyes, you did a really marvelous job with this style!! Way to go! Enjoy your day!! Hugs, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi dear, I absolutely LOVE this stunning piece of art. You have done so well. I have to agree on Ruth however she explained it very good it takes away the peace of the piece. But hey now we are quibbling.
    Very brave of you to try this, it is as you say Hazel the failure is in not doing anything. But this is far from a failure, it's a big succes.
    Hugs Veerle xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this is just beautiful, Hazel! It has a peaceful and serene feel and all the little touches (like the dots on the trees) add up to a gorgeous card. In all honesty, I have no criticism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like it lots. The typed words made me pause which is exactly the right feeling for this card

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely card! The trees are beautiful. Nice job stepping out of your normal style and trying something new!

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW, you can frame this fabulous work of art, Hazel!!!! You are so talented and one would say that you've been doing these kind of cards for ages, my friend!!!! Your colouring of the trees are FABULOUS - love the great texture you've got there and the white dots is just wonderful!!!! The sponging looks fantastic and I love how you've done the sentiment!!! I keep on going back to have another look!!!! This is really soooooo beautiful, my friend!!!! Love, love, LOVE it!!!
    So sorry to hear that you're still having internet problems and yeah for spending the time at your craft table, hey!!!!
    Have a wonderful day!!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh ... this is beautiful, Hazel. I'm happy you stepped out of your comfort zone, because this is one AMAZING card! LOVE the masked and sponged hills and your sponged background. The colours are AWESOME! And I love your design. The three vertical sentiments mimic the design of three leaves --- fantastic. And your added detailing with the dots is perfect. I'd say you nailed it with this card. Beautiful, creative and very artsy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my goodness....what a wonderful and refreshing card and I too am so happy you stepped out of your comfort zone. This is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this a lot Hazel. It has a very peaceful feel to it. I like how you've coloured the trees in. Like you, I admire this type of work that is done by others. I've recently been using some Paper Artsy stamps and acrylic paints which has been lots of fun. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x