Monday 26 March 2018

A Birthday Card & An Apology!


Hi crafty friends.  I have a very quick post today I'm afraid.  I have been unable to post anything, visit blogs or, actually get to do much card making done this past week, and I need to explain.

You see, to cut a very long and drawn out story (fairly) short . . . we changed internet providers, and to say it was a cock up from start to finish would not really do it justice!  Now it is up and running properly, we have a signal that is so weak, that we have had to buy 'boosters' to get anything at all.  Over the weekend, it was impossible to get a signal at all (due in part to internet traffic of course, which always slows it up anyway).  We changed because Virgin was hiking up the payment every month (literally) and we were fed up with being held to ransom.  So we have changed to Sky - and, I fear, it might have been 'out of the frying pan and into the fire'!  

However, they have told us it can take up to 10 days for a line to 'settle in'. We have had the engineers in and out all week, trying to improve things - apparently, Virgin had made such a mess of the wiring, it was a wonder we could get anything at all (the engineer showed us the 'birds nest' of wiring that they had done, so we know he was telling the truth) and he has fitted the sockets better (one was even hanging off the wall, which he put back correctly).  However, the internet speed has dropped dramatically as a result of Sky not being able to compete with the 'claimed' speeds of Virgin (we have never had the speeds from Virgin that they claim, but they were a lot better than Sky so far.  As an example, as I type this, I have measured my internet speed and it is only 6 Mbps upload speed!! But, with our bill having rocketed by 150% with Virgin . . . enough was enough!

So, dear friends, I am sorry if my posts and visits have been, and could be sporadic again for a while - until the line 'beds in', whatever that means - but I am still here, and the weather is warmer than it has been, so fingers crossed it stays that way for a while.  And fingers crossed again, I can manage to get this post up before the signal drops out again!

Thank you all so much for your patience with me thus far.  And without further ado, here is the card.  Not one of my best, but it was done in a hurry.  It's for darling Max, who is two years old already!!


Confession . . . the solitary balloon, going up off on the left, is there because, just as I finished the card and was putting away my supplies, I got ink on my finger (unknown to me) and got a smudge there, so I had to improvise and cover it up!  I know you all have done the same at some time . . . go on, admit it!  😉💓


Thank you so much for your visit today and especially if you have left a comment.  You are all appreciated more than you know! 

If you have a question, please be sure I have a way to contact you so I can answer, as a lot of you are 'no-reply' bloggers, so I am unable to reply via e-mail.


16 comments:

  1. This is very pretty and I love the colour of the bottom panel Hazel, and just in case you have never heard of it, there is now a Tombow Mono Sand Eraser on the market which, providing the inky smudge is not too dark and heavy, will rub it out quite successfully. It has saved my bacon on many an occasion since I've had it. Sorry to hear that you have been having trouble with your internet speeds. I think these providers need a shake up as it does seem to vary a lot and cost a lot too. We have recently upgraded to the fast broadband via BT and the speed is great and the monthly fee includes the landline and all normal rate calls, but maybe you have your tv and channels included which we obviously don't have. I hope they manage to sort it out better for you and that in time it will improve. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very pretty and festive looking card! So sorry for your internet issues, I hope it gets worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so gorgeous!! The colors and design are so beautiful!! Oh gosh, I'm sorry you are having internet problems. I'm not sure what I would do without internet. How frustrating to have a low signal. I hope the line beds in and you are back up and running soon. Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  4. cute card, Hazel and no one would ever know about the fix - the Tombow sand eraser has saved me many times too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful card and that balloon was meant to be! So sorry to hear you are having internet issues. That would make me bonkers. My inlaws don't have wireless in their home and the coverage they have is so slow due to their old computer. Up until last year our phones had no internet as it was a low spot. I told hubs I had a 3 day limit without internet so we had to trodge off to the library. Fortunately phone coverage has improved so our visits are no longer limited. Ha Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Darling card, Hazel - just love all the balloons, especially the star with the 2 - so cute! Oh yes, I've been in your shoes with the random smudge needing to be covered! Your balloon works perfectly!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your card looks great. And, yes, I've done the same with a smudge many times. I do have a Tombow sand eraser now, and that helps take care of light smudges on occasion. I'm so sorry about your internet issues. They are the worst, aren't they? If only we could all have high-speed connections with no down time. Don't worry about your followers. We'll be here whenever you can post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sure will admit to adding a sequin or two to cover up stains etc. Hazel ...however I love the third balloon on your gorgeous card. Sorry to hear about the technology problems.... x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday to Max! Gosh hasn't the time passed so quickly! Love this card, and I liked your 'save' very much! It looks like an inspired design detail. This is a sweet layout, and the birthday boy will love it. Good luck with the new ISP. They all play the same games...I fear that one day these companies will just price themselves out of business as far as the ordinary folks are concerned. Our cable company (bundled tv,phone & internet) does the same thing. Does no good to switch companies, as some of my family does...because in a few months, the rates start to creep up. It's a pain all the way round. Just have to make lots of cards and when you get situated again, you'll have plenty to share with us! TFS & Hugs. Oh, glad you are having better temperatures too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Computer problems are the pits! We've all had them and know how frustrating it is. Hopefully it will get straight soon. Love Max's birthday card and love the extra balloon floating over the smudge! I think it was a good thing you had the smudge! The balloon is a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sweet card....and I just love all your wonderful sewing, your clothes look so amazing. As for visiting blogs, please never worry about that, visit when you have time and feel up to it. My visits have been pretty lean too, bad arthritis in both my hands and typing is painful, so please never ever worry. Sending hugs your way!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! What a palaver! I know lots of people complain about BT, but I've been with them for 17 years and they've always been great. I hope it beds in soon as I miss your posts :) It's a super cute card and I hear you on the smudge - yours is a good save! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Adorable card for Max! What a hassle with changing internet providers. Hopefully it all settles down soon and you'll be able to be back on line without any aggrevation! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adore your cute balloon card! That extra balloon was a great solution for you smudge. Don't worry about not commenting, hope your internet struggles will be resolved soon. What a pain they are!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think the universe made you smoodge your card there, Hazel, because that left-sided balloon totally balanced out your wonderful design!! It's a great happy card! I'm sorry you have been run through the mill and I hope it can be sorted out most beneficial to you before too long. It sounds like a nightmare! We'll all be here when you get back to your card art and able to blog, Hazel. No need to ever apologize as life does (maddeningly) get in the way for all of us at one time or a few!! Hugs and love, Darnell

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your card is stunning Hazel, love it.
    Hugs Veerle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x