Wednesday 2 September 2015

Happy Little Stampers CAS September Challenge - Colouring

Those of you who follow this blog closely will know that I am away right now, without internet, so this has been scheduled in advance.  For the September Happy Little Stampers CAS Challenge, the challenge is for colouring.

http://happylittlestampers.blogspot.com/2015/09/hls-september-cas-challenge.html

To give you all a wonderful incentive,


http://happylittlestampers.weebly.com/


Happy Little Stampers are sponsoring this challenge and the lucky winner will receive this terrific stamp set!



Now, I know that some of you lovelies are out there groaning, "Oh no, not colouring, I hate colouring".  I'm here to show you that it needn't be difficult and, in fact, when you start and get into it a bit, it is actually quite fun and relaxing!  I will also show you that you needn't be an expert . . . I, am certainly far from it!

I have used one stamp set, Altenew's 'Persian Motifs', and coloured it in three different ways . . . let me know which you prefer at the end.  Be warned, this is going to be a long, long post!

The first, what I call, is the 'loosely goosey' technique, which is loose, wild, abandoned and unstructured and this is what it looks like, I will describe the process below.









First I stamped the image onto to watercolour paper in Versamark and scribbled some colour straight on to the images, with Kuretake Sai waterbrush markers (I couldn't afford the Zig Real Brush Pens) and spritzed generously with water and just let the colours mix and blend the way that they wanted to - hence, the 'loosey, goosey' technique - I did mop up some areas where there was too much colour gathering, but that is all I did in the way of control!

The next technique was a little more controlled, but again, not a lot, and this is what that looks like.  Again I will explain the process below.












This time, I started off the same way by embossing the image onto watercolour cardstock, but this time I controlled the ink a little more by just laying a little of the colour near the base of the petals and drawing it out with water on a clean paintbrush, so that it faded out towards the tips of the petals and did the same with the leaves.  I finished the whole thing off by giving the background a very light wash of colour.

The final method I used was completely different.  This is more controlled and uses coloured pencils.  Again, the method will be described below the photos.









First, I stamped the image in black, I used Versafine Black Onyx, but it doesn't matter what you use as this is a 'dry' method.  I used Caran d'Ache Soft Colour Pencils and just applied them with a very light touch with varying shades of blue in layers until I had the colour depth that I wanted, I do not use blending solution because if you build the layers up gently and not lay all your colour down at the start, you are able to blend without solution and control it better.  I did the same with various shades of green for the leaves.

Now, this is where I lost control and my black gel pen took over.  I decided, in my wisdom, to put a 'few' dots of black to fill in some gaps.  I started with little groups of three and then my gel pen thought, "hey, this looks fun, I want a go" and took over running about all over the place putting far too many down and spoilt the whole thing . . . well, I was horrified, but I had spent hours on the piece, so I decided I had to just run with it, so please excuse it and look beyond the dots and pretend they aren't there . . . next time, I won't allow the little devil anywhere near a piece that has taken me hours to complete!

Well, if you have stayed with me up until here, I applaud your endurance and thank you from the bottom of my heart.  Don't forget to let me know which method you like best and give it a go and join us for some fun at Happy Little Stampers!  Have a lovely day my friends!  Hazel xx

24 comments:

  1. all three cards are wonderful, Hazel - the method i favor using the most is your second one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I love all three cards. I'm a big fan of colouring and water colouring in particular, although your coloured pencil card is beautiful. I rather like the black dots!! Happy Holidays! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. All three cards are gorgeous Hazel. Great job showing different ways to colour. I have to say that the loosey, goosey one is my favourite! :) I love the flow of the soft colours. xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've just read my thoughts, Hazel! Yes, I do scared of colouring, watched hundreds of video and still cannot do it as some craft ladies do :( Your cards are gorgeous, and colouring are amazing! I love second one, but loosey- goosey is sweet too. Pencil colouring has its charm too, but I won't try it. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, all three are absolutely gorgeous!! I love the beautiful flowers!! You showcased them perfectly on all of the cards!! The colors are fabulous!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't pick a favorite, Hazel! They're all awesome! And I think the dots look great! Your pen knew what it was doing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love all of them, Hazel! you so rocked the Altenew. I received my first set a couple of weeks ago and must now add these to my wishlist--you're such an enabler! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hazel, I hope you are having a wonderful time. Can't wait until you are back :) Your cards are simply divine. Seriously, I love them. My favourite is your loosey goosey colouring. Gorgeous. One your last card, those black dots are amazing. I LOVE them! xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, what wonderful watercolour here Hazel... love the colours and the beautiful effects you have created!
    Chrissie xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. But beautiful card! Great colors, I love it. All cards are beautiful, but for me gold and white embossing is the best.
    hugs,
    BozenA

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are simply stunning Hazel! Your water coloring is share perfection...just love your wonderful style.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Three great designs. Three great techniques. I couldn't possibly choose a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am very sorry but I can't pick a favorite. They are all so gorgeous and I love them all the same but for different reasons! The looseness of the first, the glittery gold and b/w accents of the second and the beautiful colors of the third. And I think the black dots look fun!
    I was eyeing this set and now I seriously want it!
    Hope you enjoy your vacation and you come back all rejuvenated!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, three gorgeous cards, Hazel! The gold and pink one is stunning but they are all lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are STUNNING!!!!!! I cannot decide which card I like best, but i have decided I NEED that stamp set!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW, Hazel, Absolute stunning colouring on all of these!!!! I'm going to have another close look at them all to try and pick a fave ... no, my friend ...sorry but I can't decide which is best as they are all wonderful!!! Thank you so much for taking the time to set up this post and to share your wonderful colouring skills with us!!!! These are all simply beautiful!!!
    Hope you're enjoying the holiday and having a great time!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I can choose!! Such a fantastic post explaining all the different techniques. I love the light, airy feel of the first card and sometimes you want to be out of control. Your second card is gorgeous with the pink and gold combo. And your third card is fabulous. I didn't see anything wrong with the dots at all until I read your post. I think they look really cool and its something I've never tried before (or thought of doing). So don't worry, its a beautiful card and its inspired me to try the dots too, so it can't be that bad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous cards, I love them all..... but, the loosely goosey is my favourite. I love the delicate look to the flowers. xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. I din't know how I missed this before. Hazel again you've come up with three beauties. I enjoyed reading what you did. It's hard to choose a favourite because they're all so lovely and different too but I think the first wins just because of the gorgeous colour of those flowers. I love the black dots by the way. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. thanks for the techniques and inspiration! lovely cards Hazel!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So sorry, Hazel, just realised I never popped by to leave you some love previously.
    This stamp set is gorgeous and you've shown just how versatile it is. I think the first technique with the soft results is my favourite, although there's something very classy and pretty about the gold/pink combo too x

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your card are just beautiful, Hazel! I love all of them! The first two seem like less work though. I have this wonderful stamp set along with the dies and think it's fantastic! I haven't come up with the best way to color them yet, so I really appreciate your ideas and inspiration. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Debbie! Thank you for stopping by and your lovely comment. You are a 'no-reply blogger' and appear to have no blog, so I can only hope that you come back to see this reply! Yes, the first two are less work and therefore, my favourites, but I enjoyed them all! Have a great day! Hazel xx

    ReplyDelete
  24. Gorgeous cards! On the first card, loosely goosed, did you emboss the image in white before applying the color? Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x