Saturday 27 June 2015

Excitement & Relaxation Tinged With Sadness

Hi my lovely lovely fellow bloggers and friends . . . I'm back!  Did you miss me as much as I missed you all?  I actually got back yesterday, but of course, there is so much to do to catch up with everything . . . A mountain of post inside the front door (wedging it shut against two returning weary travellers at 04:00am), then there were over 2000 e-mails to sort the Spam from the wanted mail.

Anywho, this is my first chance, even though there is still heaps to do!  Why does it always take a week for every day you are away to catch up on life?

First, to the title, the excitement being, just before I went off  I was asked by Loll Thompson if I would like to join the Happy Little Stampers CAS DT . . . would I?  If ever there was a silly question!  I was so excited . . . and nervous - was I up to it, would I let the team down? - but Loll was lovely and held my hand in helping me to get to grips with what it meant to be part of a design team, you see, I have only been blogging for around eight months and before that I had never even seen a blog, let alone run one . . . and now, to be part of such a wonderful team as Happy Little Stampers, it's a dream come true.  You see, I have a number of design inspirations and Loll and Kylie are at the top of that list (no flannel) and so I am truly, deeply honoured to be a part of that amazing team!

The relaxation part is to do with the fact that where I was staying was in a fairly remote rural area with limited technology, so, of course, no internet and no blogging!  But this forces you to just relax and do nothing whatsoever . . . something I adapted to fairly quickly (little cough and an eyeroll)  Here are some of the pictures of the views of the surrounding area and other sights we saw - I promise, I will keep them down to a minimum, so as not to bore you all.

This was the entrance and hire car



These were the surrounding views















Me, trying to relax (a tut and an eye-roll)





These fellas were enjoying the sunshine too!









The grapes have started to form on the vines




Some views on our excursions around the area








Now, unfortunately, for the "sad" part of the title.  Whilst we were there, towards the end of our visit, one of our friend's wonderful husband passed away.  He had been suffering with cancer for nine years and had been in and out of remission and had good and bad days.  He was a very gentle man and also a real, 'old fashioned'  gentleman and although the prognosis was not good towards the end, it is still one almighty shock!  We didn't get to see our friend after  that because, it goes without saying, that she was so busy with arrangements.  Of course, we offered our condolences and said that if there was anything we could do (even if it was only small, like picking things up, or running their fifteen year old daughter anywhere)

Of course, I needed to make a condolence card, but only took some printed, 'adult colouring pages' that I downloaded from the internet to practice some colouring on (as I'm not too hot on colouring)  Here is the link to the site where I got the free pictures, there are loads of them!  Of course, me being me, forgot to take some . . . pencils . . . Duh!!  So we raced to the nearest little shop and bought some very cheap kids colouring pencils, some very thin card and some glue.  Luckily (or not luckily, depending how you look at it) I had had the foresight to also print a variety of sentiments under the colouring pictures in case I could make use of them. 

This is what I came up with . . . Not one of my best efforts, but it told my friend and her daughter that we were thinking of them.















 Well, if you are still here, thank you so much for sticking with it, I appreciate you all more than you know . . . Have a truly wonderful weekend and happy crafting!  Hazel xx






11 comments:

  1. Welcome back... congratulations... and a beautiful card Hazel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on joining the DT, fab pix, looks like a wonderful break. Sorry to hear of your loss and a remarkable card given your circumstances - I'm sure your friend appreciated it nonetheless and even more so knowing you were on vacation at the time

    Kathyk

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have missed your posts and I'm still here! I'm so sorry for the sadness on your trip, but it looks like in the main you had a great and relaxing time. Relaxing is important. Well done on joining a design team - that is so exciting. Can't wait to see what you make :) And finally, the card you made for your friend from limited supplies is beautiful. Simple and beautiful. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice to see you back, Hazel - your vacation spot looks marvelous! and congrats on the DT spot - such a nice honor to be recognized - will look forward to your posts on HLS!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome back, Hazel!! It seems like I always need a vacation after a vacation...catching up is so hard!! Wow, the place where you stayed is absolutely gorgeous!! I wouldn't have wanted to leave!! Gorgeous pictures!! Congrats on your new DT!! You will rock!! And I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. The card you made is absolutely beautiful and they will definitely appreciate it. Good luck sorting through all those emails!! Have a great day :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome back Hazel. Looks like you had a very relaxing holiday in the sun. So sorry to hear about your dear friend's passing. The card you made for the family is so lovely and I know they will appreciate that you made it yourself with love for them.

    So happy to have you on the CAS team at HLS. Looking forward to your first challenge which is less than a week away! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Hazel. I'm so excited that we will be teammies! Looks like a wonderful vacation and you are so thoughtful to do this card for you friend. I'm sure she was touched and happy to hear from you. Try to keep some of that relaxed on for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Hazel, how wonderful to have you back, my friend!!! We missed you and your beautiful cards so much!!!! And what a fantastic place you visited!!! WOW, thank you so much for sharing your beautiful photo's - wish I could be there, too!!!! Love the one of you relaxing!! You could have added many more - surely no one would have been bored!! So nice to hear that you had a terrific time and I'm sure the batteries have been charged fully - just a pity one has to come back to everyday life, hey!!!! And all the e-mails ...sounds as if it's going to take some time to get through all of those!!! Hoping you will get on top of it in no time!!!
    Oh, and a very big congrats on the happy news!!! I am so happy for you!!! They are so lucky to have you in their team, Hazel!!! Have fun and enjoy, my friend!!!!
    And then, so sorry to hear about your friend!!! You have made the most beautiful card for her and her daughter!!! Oh, it's simply STUNNING!!!! What a fantastic image and you have coloured it brilliantly!!! You will laugh, but those cheap colouring pencils we used to use at school way back when I was still young, are about the only stuff I have to do colouring!!! But aren't it fun to still use them??? But looking at what you have done, I need a bit more practicing!!!! Think I'll have to download some of those pictures and get going - thanks for the link - I'll surely hop over!!!
    OK, Hazel sending big hugs your way and another 'Welcome back'!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your card is beautiful! It just goes to show that we don't always need all the fancy supplies and tools to show how much we care in a card. Congratulations on your DT appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So fantastic to see you back!! Certainly sounds like you had a wonderful time and love all the photos. Congratulations on being a new member of HLS, they are very lucky to have you. And very sorry to hear about your friend. It always seems to be a shock even if you know its going to happen. I think you've made a gorgeous card under the circumstances and your colouring is amazing. I'm sure your friend would have appreciated any card and knowing that your there for her when she is ready. I'm so looking forward to your cards, have missed seeing your blog posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats to you Hazel for your DT appointment! I know how happy you must be. The photos of your holiday are gorgeous!
    I am sorry to hear of your good friend's loss.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x