Sunday 19 November 2017

A Different Project


Hello my lovelies.  I hope you are all well and having a good weekend!  I have gotten way behind with my visiting and commenting I'm afraid, because I have been working on a sewing project.

Those of you who follow me will know that I recently bought a new sewing machine - my old one needed a crane to get it out of the bottom of my wardrobe - and so, I never really used it.  Of course, in my teens and early twenties I used to make quite a few clothes, but as time went by, life got in the way and clothes were so cheap to buy, that I kind of gave up on sewing.

However, with my new lightweight machine I have found it so much more convenient to use!  So, here is my latest project. Don't look too closely, it's a bit rough and in dire need of some proper 'finishing off', but it's nearly there I think.

I didn't use a pattern, I just 'cloned' one of my dresses in my wardrobe that I liked the fit of.  But, I have bought some patterns now, so hopefully, future projects will look far better.

Here is a closer look and there will be some cards in the next couple of days too!


A closer look at the fabric (scuba), which I had never heard of until I purchased it for this project!



Thank you so much for your visit today and especially if you have left a comment.  You are all appreciated more than you know!

 If you have a question, please be sure I have a way to contact you so I can answer, as a lot of you are 'no-reply' bloggers, so I am unable to reply via e-mail.


14 comments:

  1. You made a dress? My goodness, it looks fantastic. What a pretty subtle detail to the fabric. You should be very proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - and you made it without a pattern - fantastic - and such a lovely fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Hazel you are so talented. I inherited my Mom's sewing machine and I finally had to replace it too. However, the only things I make with it are curtains and seat covers. I can't follow a pattern to save my life. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, it's so gorgeous!! You did a perfect job with it!! I love the fabric you used!! Beautiful, my friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, what a clever thing to make by just using one of your own dresses and it looks so well made, a great start Hazel, and the material is so elegant and pretty with the black and that hint of pink. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a pretty dress and fabric! Can't believe you made it without a pattern (but then again, I don't know anything about sewing)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! This is a beautiful dress and I can't believe you made it without a pattern!!! Nothing rough about it either Hazel, you are one talented lady for sure. Now I hope you show us a picture of the dress on you. Hugs, Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh, this is pretty! I love the lines and the fabric! Kudos for making your own pattern. I've never been able to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How clever are you to make this fabulous dress without a pattern. Would love to see more of your fabulous creations with your new sewing machine x

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are so talented! Cloning a dress? That takes some sewing talent. I have a robe that I would like to clone because I like it so much. I worry, though, that my attempt would be a failure, and then I wouldn't have a robe at all! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl! But it is really easy, and you wouldn't need to sacrifice your other robe! All you do, is fold your original garment in half lengthwise and trace around it very carefully, with a bit of extra for seam allowance. Then do the same with the back. If you cut on the fold, your pieces will be symmetrical! I hope you come back to see this reply, as I couldn't e-mail you, because you are a 'no-reply' blogger! Have a great day! Luv & Hugs. Hazel xx

      Delete
  11. Hazel, you are a lady of many talents. the dress is fabulous, reminds me of my mother...the cloning. She used to sew and put clothes together without patterns. I was always in awe of anyone who had that spatial ability.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must apologise for being so tardy in my comment for this. It's absolutely brilliant!!! I love the fabric and I'm super impressed that you managed to clone it!! I have been clearing out the basement where we dumped all the stuff we had in our old basement and I found all my old sewing projects. One was unfinished and I had started it in 2003 - I had completely forgotten about it! You're inspiring me to now get out those old patterns and try to make something again. I found a skirt I'd made in 2002 and guess what, it actually fits me - after 2 children, it's been a struggle to keep weight off! - so I will be finding that pattern and having another go! Brilliant work! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Hazel.
    This is truly lovely.
    You are one very talented lady. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x