Sunday 2 October 2016

Happy Little Stampers CAS Challenge - Embossing On Vellum


Hello my lovelies, how are you doing today, I hope this finds you well.  Another month has whizzed by and that means another new challenge on the Happy Little Stampers CAS blog, where we want to see, embossing on vellum.


Happy Little Stampers CAS Challenge - Embossing On Vellum

As ever, Happy Little Stampers are sponsoring the challenge, so there are prizes to be won!  There are a number of techniques you can use for this challenge and you will find tutorial videos linked over at the challenge for ideas and tips.  Also, check out the rest of the talented design team for even more inspiration!

First, I will show you my card and then explain my process after the pictures - that way, you can leave as soon as you have looked at my card if you are in a hurry!  Here it is,





This was a tricky one to photograph, it leans more towards the pink side, than the blue (as it appears here) but I have got it as close as possible - the reflection off the Glossy Accents didn't help much ... but I digress!

I took a plain, white card base and made a top fold.  Next, I took a water-coloured panel, made with the 'smooshing' technique and die cut a stitched edge panel, slightly smaller than my card base, and adhered it down with tape runner.

Next, I took a piece of vellum and stamped the Kaisercraft 'Birthday' sentiment with Versamark on to a piece of vellum and heat embossed it.

**Tips**

Make sure your heat gun is really hot before applying it to the vellum and start from the back.  Work quickly and don't hold the gun too close, that way you will minimise any warping.

If your vellum has warped, place it between two cutting plates and run through your cutting machine, or place under a heavy book for a while. 

Now, I don't know if you have worked with vellum, but, if you have, you will know what a pain it is to adhere.  I have tried every trick in the book, and none have been successful . . . until now.  The trick I used, was to use, 'Stick It' double sided sticky sheets (it's thin enough, that you can still see through the vellum!)


Thank you so much for your visit today and especially if you have left a comment.  You are all appreciated more than you know!


16 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful card and a great design Hazel. The background smooshing is so pretty and the vellum sentiment banner with the sweet little cupcake sitting on top works fabulously. I love those sequins too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful card and a great design Hazel and the background smooshing is so pretty and the sweet little cupcake sits wonderfully on top of the heat embossed vellum and I love the sequins too. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just come back from my holidays and catching up with your posts. I am so very sorry to hear the sad news and my thoughts and prayers are with you x Your card today is so very pretty. The delicate colours and the vellum work beautifully together. I don't use a lot of vellum but I shall now! Thank you for the tip on how to attach it x
    Thinking of you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the way the vellum looks with stamping on it. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hazel, this is absolutely sweet and adorable card. The color is totally awesome and thanks for the tip on vellum adhering, I always have quite a challenge with sticking it to the card.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful card Hazel. Take care and shout if I can help in any small way dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome card! Very pretty embossing~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful sweet card. I love her delicacy! Vellum always softens the image in your card this impression is particularly amazing. I love it.
    I hope that you are doing fine. I pray for your success and health in your family.
    BozenA

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very pretty Hazel. Love the soft pink smooshed background. The vellum embossed tag over top softens the colours even more. Adorable cupcake too --- looks yummy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your card is so beautiful, Hazel! Great job with embossing on vellum and thanks for the Stick It tip! I just scrolled down on your blog since my blogging is so sporadic. I'm sorry to hear about your mother doing poorly. I will keep you both in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sweet friend, I've just returned from vacation and read your posts on your mom. I am so, so sorry. She and you are in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you are holding up okay. Thinking of you.

    Your card is stunning!! I love the embossed vellum!! The background looks amazing!! What a beautiful card!! Praying for you and sending lots of comforting hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love this .... the embossed vellum adds a pretty softness to the design. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your vellum tag is so pretty with that cupcake and the soft colors from the background, Hazel! I've been thinking about you. Sending hugs and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Hazel.
    This is very pretty :)
    Top tip I read for heat embossing on vellum... get a piece of tin foil, wrap it around a piece if stiff card, attach the vellum with a bill dog clip and heat away! The foil reflects the heat to speed up the melting process - hence less warping. X
    Hope that helps :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that great tip Donna! I will definitely give that a try next time! xx

      Delete
  15. Your card is lovely Hazel and I love the colour. Thanks for the tip. Barbxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so very much for your comments you lovely people, they really make my day! Hazel x